The executive vice chancellor and provost routinely commissions small task forces and working groups to study and develop solutions to various campus issues or pursue strategic priorities. Current and past initiatives of this sort are listed below - click each section to learn more about it.
Division of Computing, Data Science, and Society
On November 1, 2018, Chancellor Carol Christ and EVCP Paul Alivisatos announced the creation of a new interdisciplinary division provisionally named the Division of Data Science and Information. This new division will be the centerpiece of a novel, dynamic, and adaptable organizational structure that will enable Berkeley faculty and students to work together across boundaries and to explore the foundations, applications, and implications of data science, information, and computation in a way that serves the interests of the public, the campus, and its academic community through a new teaching and discovery environment.
- Announcement of the Division of Data Science and Information - November 1, 2018
- Berkeley News story on the Division of Data Science and Information - November 1, 2018
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Search Announcement: Associate Provost for the Division of Data Science and Information and Dean of the School of Information - January 7, 2019
- Division of Data Science and Information Administrative Transition Working Group Charge Letter - January 22, 2019
- Data Science Transition Operations Working Group (OWG) Charge Letter - updated March 11, 2019
- Charge to the Faculty Work Group for the Data Science & Information Administrative Transition - updated May 6, 2019
- Jennifer Chayes named as Associate Provost for the Division of Data Science and Information and Dean of the School of Information - August 13, 2019
Formally Named "Division of Computing, Data Science, and Society" - February 5, 2020
Finance Reform Leadership Committee and Working Groups
The Finance Reform Leadership Committee has been tasked with recommending a new campus policy on the strategic issues and priorities related to the finance reform initiative. Three working groups have been tasked to offer recommendations on key areas of finance reform including academic funding, common good funding, and revenue sharing.
- Finance Reform Leadership Committee Charge Letter - August 15, 2018
- Finance Reform Working Group on Academic Funding Charge Letter - October 4, 2018
- Finance Reform Working Group on Common Goods Funding Charge Letter - October 4, 2018
- Finance Reform Working Group on Revenue Sharing Charge Letter - October 4, 2018
- Letter to Council of Deans on Changes to Implementation of Academic Finance Reform - July 31, 2020
Instructional Resilience is a community collaboration to create and use a new approach for Berkeley to become much more resilient to power outages, air quality challenges, or other events that could disrupt ordinary instruction in the future.
- Announcing Instructional Resilience Week Cal Message - October 28, 2019
- Instructional Resilience Week - Follow-up Cal Message - November 6, 2019
- Task Force on Instructional Resilience Charge Letter Updated - January 10, 2020
- Online Exam / Proctoring Working Group Charge - April 3, 2020
- Fall 2020 Instructional Planning Task Force Charge - April 30, 2020
- Instructional Resilience Task Force Report - May 12, 2020
Faculty Housing Strategy Working Group
The Faculty Housing Strategy Working Group has been tasked with exploring how the campus might address the increasing pressures it faces with respect to faculty housing, particularly with regard to recruiting young faculty and retaining those who may be struggling to purchase reasonable housing.
Campus Policy Governing PDSTs for Concurrent Degree Programs Working Group
The Campus Policy Governing PDSTs for Concurrent Degree Programs Working Group has been tasked with recommending a new campus policy governing how PDST is assessed for students enrolled in concurrent degree programs.
- Campus Policy Governing PDSTs for Concurrent Degree Programs Working Group Charge Letter - June 11, 2018
- Wroking Group Final Report - December 10, 2018
- EVCP Response to the Working Group - January 23, 2019
Executive Education Working Group
The Executive Education Working Group has been tasked with developing guiding principles, processes, tools, and infrastructure to ensure the financial and programmatic success of UC Berkeley's executive education offerings.
- Executive Education Working Group Charge Letter - Updated July 2017
- Executive Education Working Group - Report & Recommendations - March 5, 2018
Campus Commercial Advertising Policy Working Group
The Campus Commercial Advertising Policy Working Group was charged with evaluating current university policies relating to advertising and commercial activity on campus.
Joint Administration-Academic Senate Task Force on Self-Supporting Graduate Professional Degree Programs
The Joint Administration-Academic Senate Task Force on Self-Supporting Graduate Professional Degree Programs was designed to recommend new guidelines for these campus programs so that Berkeley can meet rising need while maintaining a commitment to excellence, rigor, and access.
- Updated Campus Policy on Self-Supporting Graduate Professional Degree Programs - March 2018
- EVCP and Academic Senate Response to SSGPDP Task Force Report - March 2018
- DIVCO Response to SSGPDP Task Force Report - January 2018
- SSGPDP Task Force Final Report - October 2017
- SSGPDP Task Force Charge Letter - November 2016
- SSGPDP Policy Archive - 2010
Data Science Planning Initiative
The Data Science Planning Initiative was an effort to develop integrated plans for data science teaching and research appropriate to the diverse interests and strengths of the Berkeley campus, and to recommend structures that would coordinate data science campus-wide.
- Announcement of Interim Dean, Division of Data Science - May 2017
- Call for Nominations - Interim Dean, Division of Data Science - January 2017
- Data Science Initiative: Update & Next Steps - January 2017
- Campus Input on DSPI Faculty Advisory Board Report (CalNet Authentication required) - Fall 2016
- Data Science Planning Initiative - Faculty Advisory Board Report Summary - August 2016
- Data Science Planning Initiative - Faculty Advisory Board Report - August 2016
- Data Science Planning Initiative - Faculty Advisory Board Charge Letter - November 2015
Enrollment Management Working Group
The Enrollment Management Working Group has been tasked with creating a strategic, meaningful approach to both short and long-term enrollment growth for the UC Berkeley campus.
- Enrollment Management Working Group Charge Letter - August 2016
In the Fall of 2016, then-Chancellor Nicholas Dirks charged the Housing Master Plan Task Force to create a long-term plan to address the need for affordable, convenient housing for undergraduate and graduate students as well as postdoctoral scholars and faculty.
Work in this realm began under then-EVCP Carol Christ and is now led by the chancellor's office under Christ's leadership. More information can be found on the chancellor's site at https://chancellor.berkeley.edu/task-forces/housing-initiative.
Incentives Working Group
The Incentives Working Group is exploring how best to provide incentives for units to raise funds for faculty positions, how to ensure units maintain a fiscally and pedagogically responsible mix of types of faculty members, and how we can improve campus strategic planning and budgeting processes.
Public and Common Good Working Group
The Public and Common Good Working Group intends to assess the current state of and make recommendations about funding for public and common goods (enterprise administrative services, information technology services, etc.) on the Berkeley campus.
- DIVCO Response to Public and Comon Good Working Group Final Report - November 2017
- Public and Common Good Working Group Final Report - June 2017
- Public and Common Good Working Group Charge Letter - January 2017
For inquiries related to these task forces and working groups, please contact email@example.com.