Dear Campus Community,
We write to share important academic resources and accommodation information for the Fall 2022 semester:
Resources for Fall Instruction
As you begin this semester, please be aware/take advantage of the following resources:
- coronavirus.berkeley.edu (central campus website for COVID-19 resources)
- Testing for COVID-19 (University Health Services)
- COVID-19 mitigation measures for Fall 2022 (Student Affairs)
- Keep Teaching (Research, Teaching, and Learning)
- Design Effective and Flexible Courses (Center for Teaching & Learning)
- GSI Remote Teaching Hub (Graduate Division)
- GSI Teaching and Resource Center Upcoming Events (GSI Teaching & Resource Center)
- Disabled Students’ Program (DSP) FAQ for Instructors (DSP)
- Quick Guide to Academic Supportive Measures for instructors (EVCP)
- Guidance on Schedule Conflicts with Academic Requirements (Academic Senate)
Academic Accommodations and Other Supportive Measures
We have both ethical and legal obligations to provide accommodations and other supportive measures to our students. We call your attention to important campus policies and guidelines concerning academic accommodations for religious observance, illness, disability, hardship, and other matters.
The Academic Accommodations Hub is the student and instructor portal for support resources and academic policies, including key information regarding academic accommodations, as well as links to mental health resources, resources for survivors of sexual violence and sexual harassment, and more. This hub is located on the website of the Executive Vice Chancellor and Provost, and may also be accessed through bCourses (click “Academic Policies” in the bCourses navigation bar).
We strongly encourage all instructors to provide a link to the Academic Accommodations Hub in their course syllabi: evcp.berkeley.edu/programs-resources/academic-accommodations-hub. The Office for Faculty Equity & Welfare also has suggestions for referring to accommodations and campus resources in a supportive way on your course syllabus.
The importance of providing required disability accommodations cannot be emphasized enough. Instructors are encouraged to take the Disabled Students’ Program (DSP) online training “Disability, Accommodation, and Access in the UC Classroom” (visit the DSP Resources for Faculty webpage and click on the training link). DSP staff and the DSP Faculty Liaisons are available to answer any questions you may have about a particular request. Please be mindful of APM 015 (Faculty Code of Conduct), which requires that faculty adhere to university policies, including those regarding class sessions and examinations.
Fall Semester Important Dates
See the Fall 2022 Academic Calendar maintained by the Office of the Registrar for the latest calendar information (students in degree programs that do not align with the standard academic calendar should consult with their department). Below are some important dates in the semester:
- Instruction Begins: Wednesday, August 24
- Academic and Administrative Holiday: Monday, September 5
- Midpoint grading rosters open for instructors: Monday, September 26
- Academic and Administrative Holiday: Friday, November 11
- Non-Instructional Day: Wednesday, November 23
- Academic and Administrative Holiday: Thursday, November 24 and Friday, November 25
- Formal Classes End: Friday, December 2
- Reading/Review/Recitation week: Monday, December 5-Friday, December 9
- Last day of instruction: Friday, December 9
- Final examinations: Monday, December 12-Friday, December 16
Thank you for your continued dedication, creativity, and flexibility as we prepare for the start of the new semester and academic year.
Benjamin E. Hermalin, Executive Vice Chancellor and Provost
Oliver M. O’Reilly, Vice Provost for Undergraduate Education
Lisa García Bedolla, Vice Provost for Graduate Studies and Dean of the Graduate Division
Mary Ann Smart, Incoming Chair, Berkeley Division of the Academic Senate