Dear Campus Community,
We are writing to share important academic resources and accommodation information for the Fall 2021 semester. Thank you for your continued dedication, creativity, and flexibility as we prepare for the start of this academic year.
Instruction and Academic
As outlined in the update on fall semester, we will resume in-person instruction on a large scale for the first time since the pandemic began. The default instructional mode for fall 2021 will be in-person, and most classes will be held in person. The main exception is classes with enrollments of 200 or more students. Most secondary sections (e.g., discussion and labs) for these and other large classes will be held in person but some discussion sections will be offered remotely. Please visit the instruction webpage of the campus coronavirus website for additional details.
Resources for Fall Instruction
As you begin instruction this semester, please take advantage of the following resources.
- coronavirus.berkeley.edu (central campus website for coronavirus resources and support, including information on our return to campus)
- Fall 2021 Instruction FAQ for Students (Office of the Registrar)
- Remote Learning Room Calendar - open classroom spaces for students to use while attending remote lectures this semester (Office of the Registrar)
- Student Technology Equity Program (STEP) - provides laptops and other peripherals for students in need (Informational Services and Technology)
- Instructor guidance (campus coronavirus website)
- Academic Senate Coronavirus Resources (Academic Senate)
- Instructor FAQ for Fall 2021 (Academic Senate)
- GSI FAQ for Fall 2021 (Graduate Division)
- COCI Statement Regarding Fall 2021 Instruction and Planning (Academic Senate)
- Support Your Students' Return to Campus (Center for Teaching & Learning)
- Keep Teaching website (Research, Teaching, & learning)
- Disabled Students' Program (DSP) FAQ for Instructors (DSP)
We call your attention to important campus policies and guidelines concerning academic accommodations for religious observance, illness, disability, hardship, and other matters. We have both legal and moral obligations to provide accommodation to our students. The Academic Accommodations Hub is the student and instructor portal for support resources and academic policies, including key information regarding academic accommodations and links to mental health resources, resources for survivors of sexual violence and sexual harassment, and more. When considering requests for accommodations, instructors should be mindful of APM 015 (Faculty Code of Conduct), which requires that faculty adhere to university policies, including those regarding class sessions and examinations. Instructors are encouraged to take the Disabled Students' Program (DSP) newly-produced online training "Disability, Accommodation, and Access in the UC Classroom" (visit the DSP Resources for Faculty webpage and click on the training link.
This hub is located on the website of the Executive Vice Chancellor and Provost and may also be accessed through bcourses by clicking "Academic Policies" in the navigation. This hub is also accessible via CalCentral. We strongly encourage all instructors to provide a link to the following webpage in their course syllabi: https://evcp.berkeley.edu/programs-resources/academic-accommodations-hub
The Office for Faculty Equity & Welfare also has suggestions for referring to accommodations in a supportive way on your course syllabus.
Fall Semester Important Dates
See the Fall 2021 Academic Calendar and Instructor FAQ maintained by the Office of the Registrar for the latest calendar information (students in degree programs that do not align with the standard academic calendar should consult with their department). Below are some important dates in the semester:
- Instruction Begins: Wednesday, August 25
- Academic and Administrative Holiday: Monday, September 6
- Academic and Administrative Holiday: Thursday, November 11
- Non-Instruction Day: Wednesday, November 24
- Academic and Administrative Holiday: Thursday, November 25 & Friday, November 26
- Last Day of formal instruction: Friday, December 3
- Reading/Review/Recitation week: Monday, December 6 - Friday, December 10
- Final examinations: Monday, December 13 - Friday, December 17
Catherine P. Koshland
Interim Executive Vice Chancellor and Provost
Oliver M. O'Reilly
Interim Vice Provost for Undergraduate Education
Lisa García Bedolla
Vice Provost for Graduate Studies and Dean of the Graduate Division
Ronald C. Cohen
Chair, Berkeley Division of the Academic Senate